6. if i be wrong


Some of you might remember that I take one polaroid per week as part of my reflective journal… each polaroid is then dated and transcribed with a word which reflects something of that week. I try and make these images targeted, rather than beautiful or reflective of a highlight - it was inspired by Barbara Bassot (2013) writing in The Reflective Journal, Bassot suggests that photography can be directed towards that moment, for instance capturing calm scenery on a stressful week. I like the way of framing this as something that you need rather than a more literal photography of how this week has looked.

I continue to feel authentic (whatever that is?) through these methods, both my polaroid and my typewriter do not allow for mistakes, they are unrelenting and somehow that makes them feel truthful. They both give clear physical imprints, how hard I press the keys or how steady I hold the camera will directly affect the product. It is this physicality that I become excited about within contexts of contemporary dance and choreography.


I had a revelation today about my polaroids. 

I’ve had a very busy week with full-on rehearsals, a bunch of calls for outside of work things, some applications/deadlines, waiting to hear from other things - and spending most nights studying in the library after work. So, today when I came to take my polaroid I wanted to reflect this, we had a storm in Denmark and so there is a palpable energy in the air that I wanted to capture.

I took the above picture in the storm, on my way from grabbing lunch at a cafe, picking up my new book which just came to the library and having to be back at rehearsals shortly. My polaroids do not turn out so well when they have to come on walks with me, the best ones can be sat face down on a table for 20 minutes directly after capturing them. But of course far too often, time is a luxury and I haven’t put aside the time I need - so they are swept up in my pocket (this time in a literal storm) and get a bit manhandled in their crucial processing window before they can settle. You can see it in the top left hand corner that I have made a finger print on the image as I transferred it from my pocket to a table when I got back to work.

I then went back to look at some of my previous polaroids, for many of the rushed polaroids there are defects on the images, often fingerprints or white marks around the edges. And then - I got really excited. These defects serve as a direct reflection over the speed of my week in that they only really appear on busy weeks, when there was not time to let the polaroid sit undisturbed. They begin to embody a physical capacity and I become able to more deeply recall and reflect on why I have not had time in these weeks: what has been propelling me forwards and has it been been at a speed that felt too fast or out of my control. 

They give me something, but I hope they can also perform for the outsider who is unfamiliar with their context. The handmade amateur-ness of them to me feels that it can show their vulnerability. It can hopefully charge them with a physical energy. After all, even something which is messy can point to a valuable and important revelation.

-

‘If I Be Wrong’ - Wolf Larsen, Quiet at the Kitchen Door, Track 6 

Comments

  1. I love this Matthew. It seems like the concept of a 'defect serving as a direct reflection' could translate itself to choreography and performance. This past year I have battled with feelings of not being the same dancer as I was before I was unwell. In classical ballet this makes me think of what I lost, certain technical capacities, concentration, vision and energy levels which have not returned to their full capacities. But I have tried to see these 'scars' almost as something which serve me and guide me to the performer I am now. To find that courage to find the vulnerability to be honest with who I am now. I find this idea of beauty in the imperfection quite fascinating, as well as realising there is usually more to learn from the messiness than from anything that is too tidy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes to all of this!! That is a lovely way of framing it as how 'scars' can serve us. The idea of serving a purpose in general is exciting with relationship to imperfection. If I remember rightly you were posting about Imperfect Pointes a few weeks ago on Instagram? They actually designed costumes for my last show and you just reminded me of all the work Helen is doing - it's like a completely different context (fast fashion, capitalism etc) but I think the whole branding around ideas of being imperfect is so strong. Actually the irony that the brand which is perhaps the most perfect is the one outwardly sharing its imperfections feels very relevant to all these ideas. I'm a bit outside of the ballet world but it feels like a very exciting movement within that industry.

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love that you take these snapshots of your life in motion. So often we don't consider the chaos or the madness as beauty within our every day or that collectively all of these moments make up our life. Such a wonderful addition to your writing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

13. town for sale

5. tightly knotted to a similar string